The Slieve Bloom Association attended the Laois Community Forum – Community and Voluntary Awards 2013 and received the runner-up award in the Environment Section where there was a very large entry.
The Association was presented with a framed certificate and €200 prize money in recognition of voluntary work carried out by our members over the last year.
The revival of ancient festivals
- Imbolc: Milking Ceremony held at Spink Hill, Cadamstown, in February
- Bealtaine May Festival: Erection of May bush believed to prevent milk and cream being stolen
- Ard Eireann Mid-Summer Festival which incorporated The Gathering
Other projects undertaken included
- The Giant’s Grave: Clearance of vegetation and rushes around the site and cleaning of the information board
- Ridge of Capard: Replacement of picnic furniture and litter bins
- Annual Tour: 2013 was a trip to County Clare taking in The Cliffs of Moher, Aillwee Caves, Catherconnel Fort and The Burren